[Sugar-devel] Keep confusion -- round N+1

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:28:26 EDT 2010

On 24 Jun 2010, at 00:07, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> On 23 June 2010 15:49, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Continuing on the tradition of "Keep confusion, yet again" thread
>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-April/023440.html
>>
>> I was yesterday in a conf call with the Perú team, who had been
>> working with teachers and were reporting a "keep" bug on F11/S0.84
>> images.
>>
>> What was very clear was that both technical team and teachers were
>> confused about the keep button; and they were seeing a bug that
>> increased their confusion.
>
> Yep, I'm here in peru and they are facing the same confusion as i've
> seen all over the world.
> This button needs to go away.

+1, it's been a horrible confusing design call even assuming the Journal had version support implemented. FWIW the iPad UI deals with this just great (in at least iWorks apps to my knowledge), the regular undo just works between session if you happen to want to reverse or redo a change you did yesterday. There is no extra keep step, your edit sessions are presumed continuous in time. There's even a mind mapping app I use that goes the extra step and allows you to select past edit states by modification time, not something I'd see as a common need but still an interesting extra (only time I've made use of it is to revert a document right back to the original state).

> Here in Peru they are modifying all of the 30 activities on the laptop
> to remove the Keep button. (with a little care for the ones where it
> has alternative functions such as Write -- thats why you can't just
> take it out of the activity class altogether)

Ouch :( But that is really good 'feedback', I was very glad when Keep moved into the activity sub menu for the new toolbar design, out of primary sight at last, at least... Perhaps we can get agreement to upstream such changes and save deployments such efforts.

--Gary