[Sugar-devel] Permission problems and acessing usb dispositive

Emiliano Pastorino epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Wed Jun 23 10:30:35 EDT 2010

Alberto,

You could write a udev rule like this:

cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/99-ttyACM.rules << EOF
KERNEL=="ttyACM[0-9]",MODE="0666"
EOF

This will set rw access to ttyACM devices for everyone.
If you think that's too permissive, you could do something like:

cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/99-ttyACM.rules << EOF
SYSFS{idVendor}=="vendor_id",SYSFS{idProduct}=="product_id",KERNEL=="ttyACM[0-9]",MODE="0666"
EOF

Again, this will set rw permissions for everyone, but only to ttyACM devices
specified by its vendor and product id. I.e, for Texas Instruments
USB-serial converter, idVendor=="0451" and idProduct=="3410".

You'll have to do this on every laptop, but only once.

I'm curious about the platform you're using... is it LEGO Mindstorms or
maybe Arduino? Anyway... which aplication have you adapted for the XO?
We're working on some piltos in Uruguay for which we bought a bunch of
those, but haven't arrived yet. I think it would be very productive for our
deployments if we keep in touch. Which one are you working on?

Cheers,
Emiliano

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com