[Sugar-devel] R&D vs Product Support

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:49:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would ask that both Bernie and Martin Langhoff take a step back and
> approach the question from the other side.  How can Sugar Labs (or
> OLPC) become the point of collaboration for as many 'clubs' or
> 'projects' who are interested in working in this space.

Hi David,

that's exactly my "side" :-) -- I see SL as the place where companies
(yours), foundations (OLPC!) and independent hackers with various
motivations meet and collaborate).

My mention of "clubs" was about earlier discussion of formally
splitting a "maintenance team" vs a "development team" -- others have
called it "splitting staff". I say we only need to split git branches,
and "git checkout" the appropriate one at the appropriate time :-)

> I have been on this particular rant for a while now.  Almost _all_
> successful projects focus on being the point of intersection for
> individuals and organizations who share 'a' common goal rather than
> focus on being the union of individuals and organizations who share
> 'all' common goals.

Absolutely. Successful projects are "big tents" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_tent ) --

I think most people here agree with this view, and others are ok to
tolerate it (in good big tent fashion).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions