[Sugar-devel] sugar-activity go.sugarlabs.org/MyActivty

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Jun 23 05:45:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've finished initial teacher-student sharing model for GCompris and
going to release it...

Since this feature was requested by paraguayeduca people I'll upload
en-es .xo to ASLO but it will be useful only for people with similar
environments i.e. locale (that's not for .mo files but for voices files,
bundle with all languages weights 60M), architecture, installed
packages (libpython). Handle all these variations by uploading .xo per
variant sounds pretty overkill (even after implementing per architecture
uploading on ASLO).

My previous experiment with bundling 0install[1] repos to .xo and choosing
right implementation on startup has some ugly, form 0install view,
solutions and anyway doesn't make activity fully bundled in all cases.
So, I'm thinking to follow simpler scheme, do not add any logic to
bundled blobs (it will be just plain tarball) and use 0install directly
when logic is needed.

Firstly, I was thinking about using 0install only for dependencies and
http://services.sugarlabs.org/ was initiated to "serve" schemes like [2].
But for now, urls for activities itself are needed. These urls will be
unique identifiers within 0install environment e.g.
http://services.sugarlabs.org/gcompris is an id for GCompris, so user can
type

    0launch http://services.sugarlabs.org/gcompris

to launch (it will be downloaded at first) GC. The same will be for
activities. The proper launch method could be different, for the first
time it could be only command line launcher like 0launch.

I'm just wondering what the prefix for urls could be e.g.

    htpp://go.sugarlabs.org/MyActivity
    htpp://run.sugarlabs.org/MyActivity
    htpp://launch.sugarlabs.org/MyActivity

[1] to http://0install.net/