[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Displaying the current status of system resources (such as memory, cpu)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 16 18:11:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:55:25AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> I would agree with James in that the amount of free memory is probably
> the most useful metric we can provide. Wonder if we could tie it
> graphically with activity launching.

I propose a simple square icon with colour fill from bottom up
representing unused memory.  Empty fill means no memory remaining.
Similar to the wireless device icon in behaviour.  In both the frame and
on the activity launch screen.

Palette can be like My Battery; a status assessment, and a percentage
bar; after boot it will be at greatest value.

Why these particular directions?  So that they are consistent with the
desirability of the other values displayed.  Users are already
encouraged to:

- maximise the fill of the wireless device icon, since this represents
  signal strength,

- maximise the percentage bar of the battery palette, since this
  represents remaining running time on battery.

(As a optimisation for normalisation, Sugar might offset the full value
based on the percentage of memory available at the time that startup has
completed, retuning the value when all activities are stopped.)

> I also agree with Tony in that though we have space in the frame right
> now for more device icons, it's a resource that will be quickly scarce
> if we don't think of alternatives.

It isn't scarce yet, and an accessible indicator is needed.

> Also wonder if according to the guiding principle of low-floor
> high-ceiling we could find a place for this feature so it doesn't
> raise the floor but it's there as a smoother next step than having to
> use the terminal.

Lost me there, sorry.  If you mean "what about a different way of doing
it", you might use a palette entry in the XO icon.  The journal icon
already shows free Mb.  The XO icon might show memory available.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:45:49AM -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> In order to show the correct time, we first need to add another missing
> feature to Sugar: time-zone configuration. Who would like to take this
> task?

My Settings -> Date & Time works for me on Sugar 0.84.  Are you writing
about a different feature?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/