[Sugar-devel] depending on introspection

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu.vizoso at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:00:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:17, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Tomeu Vizoso
> <tomeu.vizoso at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> anybody has thoughts about the convenience (or not) of making Sugar
>> depend on the introspection stack in GNOME 3.0?
>>
>> The biggest practical downside will be that Sugar 0.90 will only run
>> on next-cycle distros (Fedora 14, Ubuntu Maverick, etc) unless people
>> backport a lot of other packages (not recommended nor likely).
>>
>> The upsides include: gradually dropping static bindings which are
>> generally unmaintained, less memory use, less cpu usage during
>> startup, access to new APIs such as GSettings and Telepathy-GLib.
>
> I think its inevitable that we go that route. The only suggestion I
> would ask about is the requirements to be able to support it on
> RHEL/CentOS 6. Fedora 12/13 already had some introspection support so
> is it much different in requirements to those in the initial
> implementaiton as I think for long running suppor I believe there is a
> desire to be able to use that platform. If they are new packages we
> can easily add them into EPEL so that´s not too much of an issue, the
> issue comes is if the upstream package is in RHEL mainline that we
> can´t duplicate it.

Hmm, I think we would need newer glib and pygobject. Would that be possible?

If so, then by staying with gtk+ 2.0 versions of all the libraries we
could run on RHEL, but from what I have read in desktop-devel, not all
maintainers are keen on doing that.

How bad would be the consequences of Sugar 0.90 requiring components
only in GNOME 3.x?

Regards,

Tomeu