[Sugar-devel] [Sugar-Devel] Sugar Web Engine

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 06:48:25 EDT 2010

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve any of my problems.

I would gladly drop hulahop entirely (it's a mess and very low-level), but
several people have expressed concern that gecko might be a better choice
long-term. However, I have not been able to confirm any of their performance
concerns. In my tests, gecko always used more memory and was much slower
than webkit. Also, xulrunner is made first for firefox and second for
embedding, and it shows painfully.

On the other hand, I can't decide by myself to use PyGI since it's too
experimental for a platform's main browser and the rest of Sugar doesn't use
it. However, the API of pywebkitgtk would be similar to webkitgtk+PyGI, so
switching later on shouldn't be very hard. Especially since pywebkitgtk's
author himself already did it.

Because of various hulahop & xpcom quirks, webwrap (the abstraction layer)
is proving increasingly hard to write. I will give it a few more days, but
if I can't figure out a clean way to wrab both hulahop and pywebkitgtk I'll
drop hulahop entirely and let any future switching back to hulahop rely on
git.

On 16 Jun 2010 11:07, "Tomeu Vizoso" <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 15:33, Lucian Branescu <lucian.branescu at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've received eve...
Just wanted to make sure you know that the pywebkitgtk+ maintainer
recommends using PyGI instead:

http://janalonzo.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/using-introspected-webkitgtk-in-gwibber/

That was written in January and since then PyGI has progressed greatly.

I personally think that you should have less concerns than other
people that are moving to PyGI right now.

As a general remark, I don't think it's a good idea to cling to
software modules whose authors are so willing to drop down and will be
less painful in the medium term if people start moving now.

That said, it hasn't been decided yet that Sugar will depend on PyGI
from 0.90 on (see a new thread from today).

Regards,

Tomeu