[Sugar-devel] [Sugar-Devel] Sugar Web Engine

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 16 06:07:54 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 15:33, Lucian Branescu <lucian.branescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've received even less feedback from upstreams about their respective engines.
>
> There are still 2 issues:
> 1) Mozilla have given up on having xulrunner work as a distro-provided
> VM and now they just bundle it.. They plan some major changes to
> embedding and they have no plan forward that would allow hulahop to
> exist. It's no longer just about maintaining hulahop, but the entire
> stack up from gecko.
>
> 2) pywebkitgtk does not have a clear future. The changelog shows
> activity, but stable maintenance is not assured
>
> 3) webkitgtk+ and PyGI might be the best solution, but it doesn't yet
> work everywhere. From a technical p.o.v. the bits missing from PyGI
> should not (significantly) hinder Browse, since web engines tend to
> have comparatively little interaction with their GUIs.
>
> Right now, the only option that would actually works everywhere we
> care about is pywebkitgtk. While it may not be future-proof, PyGI
> would be targeting the same webkit API, so switching should be very
> easy.

Just wanted to make sure you know that the pywebkitgtk+ maintainer
recommends using PyGI instead:

http://janalonzo.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/using-introspected-webkitgtk-in-gwibber/

That was written in January and since then PyGI has progressed greatly.

I personally think that you should have less concerns than other
people that are moving to PyGI right now.

As a general remark, I don't think it's a good idea to cling to
software modules whose authors are so willing to drop down and will be
less painful in the medium term if people start moving now.

That said, it hasn't been decided yet that Sugar will depend on PyGI
from 0.90 on (see a new thread from today).

Regards,

Tomeu