[Sugar-devel] activity updater

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:33:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Mon, 14-06-2010 a las 11:41 -0500, David Farning escribió:
>
>> To give credit where credit is due, the ASLO updater is just a update
>> of Scott's code to parse the xml ASLO dynamically creates rather than
>> micoroformat.
>
> Ah, I thought it was a rewrite because the codebase is so much shorter
> and simpler. Which is what I like about it.
>

>> > For the F11-0.88, we have a dilemma: the new updater is missing some
>> > crucial features that deployments were relying upon.
>>
>> What missing features are important?
>
> For our use-cases, these would suffice:
>
> 1) Activity groups (one is sufficient). This lets deployments point the
> updater at a page containing a list of activities to add or update. As a
> side-effect, it also lets teachers quickly restore deleted activities.

We dropped the group stuff because Mozilla was just starting the
collections stuff.  Easy to add

> 2) Configurable update URL (I think the old updater used a gconf key)

Also easy.

> 3) Also add/update content bundles

Not sure about this.  I have lost track of the work alsroot is doing
in this area.

> 4) Support for the olpc microformat, which is nice, simple, fast and
> already supported by the schoolserver. We don't want to force everyone
> to go through ASLO for updates.

very straight forward to add a microformat parser.

> Some time ago, Daniel posted a longer list.
>
> On the ASLO side, we need to add one php page to output an activity
> collection with microformat tags in it. The already existing collectition
> summary page in ASLO was inadequate (can't remember why, maybe because
> it used pagination).

Very easy task for php coder.  Aslo dynamically generates the html
pages in a single php script.  That page could be adapted to create
micro-format data.

> We also need to add the ability to specify exact versions of each
> activity in a collection, otherwise deployments will be hit by untested
> and possibly broken activities as they are released by the owners.

Not sure about this one.