[Sugar-devel] ANNOUNCE: Sugar 0.88 for the XO-1

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 12 19:23:04 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

On 12 Jun 2010, at 23:53, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> El Sun, 13-06-2010 a las 08:40 +1000, forster at ozonline.com.au escribió:
>> 72 dpi icons looked good to me
>> Maybe the logic of big icons was not eyesight but touchpad control?
>>
>> Though the target audience of the XO builds is still children 6-12, it
>> doesnt have to restrict the audience of other Sugar builds. Sugarlabs
>> can have a wider mission than OLPC.
>
> I agree, but we constantly get told that we should be more focused, not
> less :-)

+1

> One easy thing we could do is make the size of these UI elements
> scalable along with the font. I think there was some code to do it in
> trac, but it didn't make it in time for 0.88.

Activity developers need to know how many "units" they have for development, we already have occasional issues where the final distro Sugar does not conform to the Sugar HIG units. Having important functions (aka Stop) fall off the toolbar into a fairly hidden, hard to use drop down menu is a bit of a pain :)

If we add some pref option to switch to smaller icons, we will need to get a big heavy stick ready for 'doers' who decide to fill the extra space with tool buttons ;)

Regards,
--Gary