[Sugar-devel] Datastore rewrite

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jun 12 12:57:23 EDT 2010

El Sat, 12-06-2010 a las 11:40 -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz escribió:
> It is one thing to say that we need a new datastore, and another to say
> what the new datastore should look like.  I believe we have consensus on
> the first part, and I'm fairly sure we don't have consensus on the second.

I tend to agree with you.

> For the record, I am pushing a proposal in which no deltas are computed.
> Files are stored as whole files.  Instead, I want each datastore object
> version to consist of an entire directory.  To save space, files that are
> identical inside multiple objects would only be stored once on disk.  This
> allows us to store and launch Activity Bundles directly from the journal.
>  It also allows slight modifications to objects (including activities) to
> be stored efficiently if the object consists of multiple files and not all
> of them are changed.

Sounds like a good approach, please ping me to review the spec when it's
available.

As an optimization to reduce the number of inodes and vfs syscalls,
perhaps it might be worthwhile to let the activity specify whether it
needs to store one file or a directory with multiple files.