[Sugar-devel] GCompris packaging

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Jun 10 19:56:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:18:34AM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Bernie and all,
>
> Adding Bruno to the conversation -- he's the main developer of Gcompris
> (outside Sugar) and I'm not 100% sure he's on this list.

He is... but at this moment he could be trying to figure out how to
use gimp to change the walls texture IRL to refresh his apartment :)

> He might have
> ideas about this.
>
> Best,
>
> Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> writes:
>
> > (copying the tecnologia@ and sugar-devel@ lists for their information)
> >
> > Pacita, meet Aleksey, a very active contributor of Sugar, maintainer of
> > the Sugar Labs activity library (ASLO) and packager of GCompris.
> >
> > Aleksey, meet Pacita, the lead of the education team of Paraguay Educa,
> > who has a very strong background on pedagogy and teaching materials.
> >

> > The old monolithic bundle of GCompris was 70MB so big that it was
> > causing problems at all levels with the limited disk space of the XO-1.
> >
> > The new strategy of pulverizing GCompris into a hundred tiny bundles
> > made it unmanageable with the current shell (updater, launcher,
> > switcher, etc).
> >
> > After separate discussions with Pacita and Aleksey, we all seem to agree
> > that GCompris needs to be repackaged differently. From a technical
> > standpoint, breaking GCompris into 4-5 activities would be ideal.
> >
> > However, it's not clear yet how the break should be done to make it more
> > useful in the classroom: by subject? by age group? by curriculum?
> > Educators can offer important input on this.

Pacita, what about this workflow:

* teacher creates new GCompris Administration[1] activity object, to

  * add change content of Classes, Groups and Profiles;
    different Administration instances will share this data to not
    recreate it every time
  * set activities list for this particular GCompris Administration
    object

* teacher saves and shares GCompris Administration object

* students join this object and follow regular GC workflow

* teacher in runtime mode, can observe results in Reports tab in
  GCompris Administration

[1] http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manual#Administering_GCompris

--
Aleksey