[Sugar-devel] GCompris packaging

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jun 10 15:49:28 EDT 2010

(copying the tecnologia@ and sugar-devel@ lists for their information)

Pacita, meet Aleksey, a very active contributor of Sugar, maintainer of
the Sugar Labs activity library (ASLO) and packager of GCompris.

Aleksey, meet Pacita, the lead of the education team of Paraguay Educa,
who has a very strong background on pedagogy and teaching materials.

The old monolithic bundle of GCompris was 70MB so big that it was
causing problems at all levels with the limited disk space of the XO-1.

The new strategy of pulverizing GCompris into a hundred tiny bundles
made it unmanageable with the current shell (updater, launcher,
switcher, etc).

After separate discussions with Pacita and Aleksey, we all seem to agree
that GCompris needs to be repackaged differently. From a technical
standpoint, breaking GCompris into 4-5 activities would be ideal.

However, it's not clear yet how the break should be done to make it more
useful in the classroom: by subject? by age group? by curriculum?
Educators can offer important input on this.

Since I have very little insight on GCompris, I'll stay aside and follow
the conversation.