[Sugar-devel] Please review code (was Re: Speak answering maths questions)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Jun 2 04:21:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:52:11PM +1200, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Hi Chris, et al.
>
> ref http://pastebin.com/2XNCHGiy
>
> I am most of the way there, as you can see from lines 91 - 143. The function
> is attempting to return something that can be read out loud back to a child
> if they ask the Speak robot a mathematical question.
>
> My biggest question is the best way to import the functionality from the
> Calculate activity. As per silbe's comments on IRC, I'm leaning towards
> duplicating the two modules inside of the Speak activity.

Such duplicating in common case is not good idea (but could optimal
option in case of Calculate modules). Anyway what about creating libmath
(or so) and patch Speak (at least) and Calculate to use this lib.

In case of Speak, it is already using 0sugar dependecies[1]. You can create
separate project on git like libjournal[2]. Only "libmath" string will be
added[3] to [1] to use libmath in Speak. 0sugar is not yet ready for
broad usage but it can work in case of libmath.

[1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/speak/repos/mainline/blobs/master/activity/activity.info#line10)
[2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/journal-service
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide

> I guess I could implement my own parser, I thought about using the ast
> module. Then I realised that I would just make a poor replication of the
> parser & evaluator that's already been created.
>
> Thoughts/comments welcome.
>
> Tim
>

> On 30 May 2010 05:34, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > I'd suggest looking at the parsing logic in the Calculate activity --
> > it deals with the same problems.
> >
> > - Chris.
> > --
> > Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>