[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Problem with Pippy layout on <=0.84

Anish Mangal anishmangal2002 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 10:34:35 EDT 2010

>> > I agree that 'hiding' the action buttons away in a toolbar is rather
>> > unfortunate :-( , but wouldn't placing buttons as in the original
>> > layout eat up vertical space?
>>
>> No more than before (as has been the design for years).
>
> The old design with the buttons in the middle always struck me as
> non-standard in Sugar.
>
> I prefer the new design with all buttons in the toolbars. If it causes
> problems with Sugar 0.84, maybe we could simply mark the new bundle as
> 0.86-0.88 only?

There is another way around this. alsroot, bemasc suggested using a
local 'toolkit' version. This can be seen implemented in the
"fully-bundled" branches of flipstiks, cartoonbuilder, speak. The idea
is to use a local toolkit copy so that all activities are consistent
across 0.82-0.88 and use the >=0.86 toolbar.

In the case of pippy, this means that the action buttons will always
be visible on the main activity toolbar. Here [1] is an xo with the
same implemented. This has been tested to work on 0.82-xo1, 0.84-xo1
(build 301), 0.88-jhbuild.

Does anyone see roadblocks in using this scheme?

[1] http://people.sugarlabs.org/~anish/Pippy-37-toolbar-fix-new.xo

> You are correct, and also wrong.  Alexey (alsroot) created a system called
> "toolkit" that lets you backport the toolbars to older Sugar versions.
>
> """
> < bemasc> but could m_anish use an old version of "toolkit" to get new
>                toolbars across Sugar versions?
> < alsroot> bemasc: yup, in repos like flipstiks, cartoonbuilder and
>                 speak, there are "fully-bundled" brnach w/ "toolkit"
> directory
>                 which is new toolbars that work on 0.82
> """
>
> Using that has the advantages of only requiring the maintenance of one set
> of toolbars, and achieving consistency across Sugar versions.  It has the
> disadvantage of breaking consistency with other Activities on <0.86.

Anish