[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Pippy layout for code storage and interaction

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:05:17 EDT 2010

2010/7/30 Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I think you should revert to the original design.
>>
>> I agree that 'hiding' the action buttons away in a toolbar is rather
>> unfortunate :-( , but wouldn't placing buttons as in the original
>> layout eat up vertical space? Here are a few things to consider.
>>
>> 1. The original pippy layout had just the activity toolbar. However,
>> for the next release I plan to add an edit toolbar, which will create
>> a new 'tab' thus eating up some more vertical space. Work on this is
>> mostly complete.
>>
>> 2. I'd like to know how often are the buttons actually used? When
>> people code, they usually don't like to take their hands of the
>> keyboard and prefer quick keyboard shortcuts rather than using the
>> touchpad or mouse. However, the situation may be very different in the
>> case of students, and the positioning of these buttons in the original
>> layout seems to reflect that.
>>
>> 3. Not sure if this can make the next immediate release but I also had
>> in mind to have multiple tabbed gtksourceview windows rather than just
>> having a single window[1]. If implemented, this would eat up some
>> vertical space as well.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> [1] http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/pippy-experimental.png
>
> To conserve vertical screen space, consider extending the 'Examples'
> navigation tree bar on the left to include a separate tree block for 'My
> code' that would appear above or below the 'Examples' tree in a
> separately sizable lower or upper border. Code that would otherwise be
> displayed in separate tabs in your tabs prototype would, instead, be
> accessed by selecting a leaf in this tree.  (Keyboard tabbing  could be
> arranged to cycle through the 'My code' leaves.)

This is somehow what was proposed in this ticket:

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1496

This patch allows the user to save the current code in the activity
persistent data directory and show it in a tree block in the examples
tree. Further, this directory is added to the PATH so that the saved
example can be imported from another example. The latter is not in the
patch but was pushed to the cloned repository:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/pippy/repos/pippyJAM-clone

Regards,

Gabriel