[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Problem with Pippy layout on <=0.84

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jul 30 15:28:58 EDT 2010

On 30 July 2010 10:59, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should revert to the original design.
>
> I agree that 'hiding' the action buttons away in a toolbar is rather
> unfortunate :-( , but wouldn't placing buttons as in the original
> layout eat up vertical space?

No more than before (as has been the design for years).

> 2. I'd like to know how often are the buttons actually used? When
> people code, they usually don't like to take their hands of the
> keyboard and prefer quick keyboard shortcuts rather than using the
> touchpad or mouse. However, the situation may be very different in the
> case of students, and the positioning of these buttons in the original
> layout seems to reflect that.

Sugar has little visibility of keyboard shortcuts (is there even any
documentation of them?) so I think its safe to assume that children
will use the buttons a lot more often.

Given the changes you're proposing, perhaps the most sensible course
of action is to drop compatibility with sugar versions that don't have
new toolbars. Then you can change the design without worrying about
the implications of space usage by old toolbars.

Daniel