[Sugar-devel] Audacity under Sugar

Sean Linton sean at lpnz.org
Wed Jul 28 23:34:00 EDT 2010

Dear All,

I am working on a conference presentation on ICT enabled networking
for indigenous music foundations. I have been working on some ideas
with David Leeming who as supplied me with an XO machine while I try
to work some things out on it.

We are looking at the potential for using Audacity as a tool to help
enable and create content for community radio stations. The idea being
that the XO can be used to record audio an then send low latency audio
code to the radio hub as oggs or mp3s.

I have installed audacity using

yum install audacity

It is no problem for me to run "audacity' from the command line,
however I am aware that OLPC developers are trying to keep the sugar
gui.

I have been also trying to find the lame libraries to enble the mp3
export function, but have limited success adjusting the
/etc/yum.repos.d or /etc/yum.conf files. I think I need to access the
ubuntu multiverse? I have no problem working in .ogg format but I am
not sure if everyone feels that way?

I would be interested in using the 'sugarize' script that you wrote to
give audacity 'activity' status, with icon, and journal compatability.

Would you be able to discuss with me how to sugarize audacity, or walk
me through your script? Audacity has options for saving files; the
"save" function creates a file that only audacity can read (aup).
Mp3/Wav/Au/Ogg require "export". Perhaps the *aup file would be useful
for journal use, eg. by chmod -x ( asigning it executble status have
it run audacity from journal?  )

I have also been looking at introducing new insruments to the
tamtam suites, ethnic instruments based on the local instruments of
the XO distributions, eg Panpipes on Tamtam for computers in the
Solomon Islands? Can you suggest a way to implement this?

Sincerely

Sean Linton
Ph D Student
Otago University