[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Displaying the current status of system resources (such as memory, cpu)

Martin Abente mabente at paraguayeduca.org
Wed Jul 28 17:05:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:47:48 +0530, Anish Mangal
<anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current implementation of the indicator that the paraguay builds
> use has static 'computer' icon for the frame. The palette menu
> displays the memory and cpu 'free' status by means of dynamically
> updating text-labels and progress bars.
>
> 1. Would it be worthwhile to have the frame icon dynamically updated
> as well, displaying icons such as the ones given below:
>     http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/computer-happy.svg
>     http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/computer-normal.svg
>     http://people.sugarlabs.org/anish/computer-sad.svg
>
>     The idea is to make the students aware of the system-load in
> response to their actions. Such an expressive means might be both
> intuitive and easy to interpret.

+1 Thats is what I think it should do, even when bars and percentages are
very useful, expressive icons can be far more effective to communicate the
overall status.

> 2. Should the progress bars' 'filled' portion correspond to resources'
> 'in-use' or 'free' percentage. Currently, a 100% free CPU would mean a
> full progress bar in the palette menu. This will probably need to
> change since it is the opposite to how the journal space is
> represented in its corresponding progress bar.

I agree with you, there should be some coherence with the bar usage, I
think anything will be ok always is coherent regardless from how we use the
bar.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:MartinDengler#Add_a_clock_.28to_the_frame.29