[Sugar-devel] Hosting for Content Bundles?

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 24 11:02:21 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 01:06:49AM +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Not that I am at all a fan of the content bundle drowse hack/shim idea (and that code path is pretty unsupported/maintained), but...
>
> On 23 Jul 2010, at 22:00, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
> > Discussing content bundles, I just noticed that there are no content
> > bundles in ASLO.
>
> Here's an xol David uploaded last year (as a test I think):
>
> 	http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4075
>
> Never tested myself, and I do hope this hack goes away and we just use the Journal like we always should have (and polish/extend where necessary to cover the use cases).

ASLO had initial .xol support but it was dropped since wasn't so popular
and complicated ASLO patch. Anyway, it will be easy to return it (in
initial state as well) but there is a problem..

We need to port/rewrite ASLO patch to the new AMO base (which was
switched to Django(Python) from Cake(PHP)), revert of .xol support could
be a part of this port.. we just need a volunteer..

> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> > [ I didn't search around too much, ASLO is unusably slow from La
> > Rioja, I don't know why. Could be a network routing issue. ]
> >
> > Is that by design? Is there a SL/iBiblio facility for hosting freely
> > distributable bundles? Sebastian Miranda (cc'd) is part of the La
> > Rioja deployment and has some bundles with interesting content that
> > he'll be including in their OS image.
> >
> > cheers,

> > --
> >  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> >  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
> >  - ask interesting questions
> >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> >  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Aleksey