[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Restart

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sat Jul 17 20:00:04 EDT 2010

bernie wrote:
 > El Fri, 16-07-2010 a las 08:40 -0400, Paul Fox escribió:
 > > if so, it's the
 > > first large-scale usage of the new suspend-or-shutdown menu, so i'm
 > > interested in reaction to that.  for instance -- is shutdown really
 > > the most often used menu item, now that the machine can be shut down
 > > with the power button?  and i know you have idle suspend disabled
 > > otherwise i'd be interested in hearing about the timeouts associated
 > > with those.
 >
 > One problem with asking for this sort of feedback is that, in the
 > schools I visit, children aren't used to get questions on their personal
 > opinion. Being a foreigner who talks funny does not help either.
 >
 > Nevertheless, I will try to find out and report back.

well, if they're not complaining, and not confused, that's the main
thing.  :-)

 > Automatic power saving is still disabled in our builds even though the
 > issue with the libertas firmware resetting seems to be fixed. When we
 > had power management enabled, teachers complained that the touchpad was
 > hard to use. Observing them for a while, I realized that their problem
 > was the short glitch on resume. Since they had no clue that the CPU was
 > being turned off, they were blaming the touchpad instead.

ah -- good observation!

 > Is it possible to speed up the resume path? Also, does the serial port
 > output significantly slow down resume?

i don't believe it does.  resume certainly hasn't gotten faster on
XO-1, and the resume delay has always been a concern.

 > If speeding up resume isn't possible, perhaps slightly dimming the
 > display backlight might help give them a hint.

dimming after 15 seconds?  perhaps.  or maybe we should simply make
the time-to-suspend quite a bit longer on XO-1.  (a minute?  two?)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org