[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Restart

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Fri Jul 16 08:40:06 EDT 2010

bernie wrote:
 > People in Paraguay complained for the removal of the Restart function
 > from Sugar 0.88:
 >
 >  http://trac.paraguayeduca.org/ticket/672
 >
 > I suspect it's just natural user resistance to any UI change, so I asked
 > for rationale.
 >
 > The change was requested by dsd, also without any good rationale to
 > justify it:
 >
 >  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1206

i'm was far more surprised by moving shutdown to the top of that
menu (i use the control panel a lot more than shutdown) than i was
by the removal of restart.

are the releases you're user-testing running powerd?  if so, it's the
first large-scale usage of the new suspend-or-shutdown menu, so i'm
interested in reaction to that.  for instance -- is shutdown really
the most often used menu item, now that the machine can be shut down
with the power button?  and i know you have idle suspend disabled
otherwise i'd be interested in hearing about the timeouts associated
with those.

paul