[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] hide OLPC mesh icon in frame when mesh is not being used

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 06:39:28 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:15:43AM +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2010, at 23:19, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2086, Simon raised the question:
> >> Do we want to hide the OLPC mesh icon (which currently appears all the
> >> time in the frame, if you're running an XO-1) when we are not
> >> connected to the mesh?
> >>
> >> Daniel
> >
> > Does anyone recall the rationale for including it to begin with?
> > Unlike the ad hoc icon, you cannot use it to create a mesh network (or
> > can you?)
>
> No sorry, I can't remember that discussion either. It would seem to be sensible to hide devices and/or CP modules when ever we can test if the specific functionality is available. There is an argument of discoverability (i.e. how do you know Sugar supports 3G connection if you don't see a 3G CP module for it), but that inexorably leads to a more cluttered UI over time (slowing down discovery of perhaps other more important features). With Sugar targeting more hardware configurations, hiding seems the sane design choice — making sure new features are clearly documented in release notes, which they have been so far, thanks Simon!

That made me think of the activity circle and favorites. maybe have certain 'favorites' and allow others to be added as needed or to have then become favorites if the HW is detected.
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|