[Sugar-devel] Design Team meeting (was: Re: UI experiments: pop-up menus and hot corners)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 09:07:16 EDT 2010

A couple of thoughts prior to the meeting today:

(1) Re new vs resume, I would argue that we already have a mechanism
in place, the delayed palette on the home view. If we made the palette
appear instantly, much of the problem would be addressed and we'd not
have to introduce an additional modal dialog. A couple of suggestions
for improvements: (a) have the initial palette appear with just two
choices: new and resume (most recent); (b) have the cursor positioned
between these two choices (move up to select new, down to resume); (c)
have a delay before additional resume choices appear (essentially what
we have now, although they could be arranged radially).

(2) If there is time, I'd like to discuss "write to Journal any time."
My proposal would be to add this only to the 0.86+ toolbar as in
general, that toolbar's Activity toolbar is sparsely populated. The
design would simply be a button (Jounal icon with a pen) that brings
up a text entry field that is used to append messages to the Journal
description field.

regards.

-walter

--