[Sugar-devel] Design Team meeting (was: Re: UI experiments: pop-up menus and hot corners)

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:31:43 EDT 2010

Thanks Sascha,

On 8 Jul 2010, at 11:49, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Thu Jul 08 09:13:23 +0000 2010:
>
>>> It would be great to hold Design Team meetings regularly (bi-weekly or at least monthly). We have already queued up a lot to talk about again.
>>
>> Do you have specific items we can try to cover on the mail-list first? Real time design meetings are tough to schedule and (in my opinion) are usually better focused on trying to move forward a goal or two.
>
> These are the topics / open issues I've collected from the mailing
> list and the bug tracker (see wiki page [1] for links to patches):
>
> - Journal backup UI (Patch from Martin Abente, Patch from Sascha Silbe)
> - Alerts (Patch from Anish Mangal) and notifications
> - Uncaught exception handler (#2063)
> - How to handle start-up delay due to data store migration (#1546)?
> - "Your Journal is empty" shown for unreadable storage media (#1810)
> - invalid/unknown colors are shown as owner colors (#1750)
> - Erasure of downloaded Activity entries in Journal permanently removes
>  the code bundle (#1512)
> - Drop down menus give no indication of their existence, also are too
>  slow to load (#1169, Patch from Michael Stone)

Oooh ouch, way to overwhelming for a realtime irc meeting, but as least has some over lap with my little reminder list, FWIW:

- Start/resume UI work
- Journal backup downstream deployment implementations
- Touch/tablet UI work
- Smolt CP icon for submitting HW profiles #949
- CP icons for HW not present can be hidden (David)?

> There are also 23 open tickets [2] filed against the design component in

Thanks for the reminder ;) yes I have a few of these tickets open in my browser tabs, usually the more actionable 'artwork wanted' type things that I think I might get to. Again not really focused enough for a meeting agenda, unless it just a generally reminder for interested parties to look through the list if they have free cycles.

FWIW2, for me, the next design meeting is focused on the Start/resume design efforts, I'm sure we'll likely cover a some other items at the end of the meeting if folks have time, but I'd hate to see the hopefully productive time deteriorate into what I watched happening at the last dev meeting.

Regards,
--Gary