[Sugar-devel] Activity packaging

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 7 02:16:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:18:04AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Bernie wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 12:02 -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> >> I think you are missing an important requirement: installation without
> >> elevated permissions.
> >
> > Rainbow has been bit-rotting for the past 2 years
>
> Ahem. Sugar's integration with rainbow has bit-rotted, been rebuilt, and still
> received no independent testing despite repeated calls for same.
>
> Rainbow, on the other hand, has seen a major new release, feature development
> that spurred new work in general Linux sandboxing, and is now available in more
> distributions than ever before thanks to dedicated support by folks like Luke,
> Sascha, and Jonas.
>
> Finally, if rainbow itself now receives little day-to-day attention, this is
> because it mostly does what its authors require and it does it well enough not
> to require their continued hand-holding.

To be honest I wasn't a fan of rainbow a bit time ago..
But having Zero Sugar fully implemented and potential possibility to launch
almost any piece of software  - compile on demand is a regular workflow within
0install (existed sugar doesn't not let such possibility:), rainbow should
be more then essential requirement.

--
Aleksey