[Sugar-devel] Activity packaging

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 6 17:59:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 19:56 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> Just to mention how it could look like on high level
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Zero_Sugar#How_it_works_at_a_glance

Will it also remove the need to ship "fat bundles", as we do now?
I mean, will it produce separate packages for each architecture/os or
just one large package with many binaries in it?

I tend to prefer the first way, like rpm and deb do.

>   - move all packaging related stuff from current glucose to some kind
>     of packaging core with using 0install as an unified packaging
>     "engine", such core could be e.g. a dbus service (but could be a
>     library as well) e.g. for now, shell does things like: decides what
>     activities to use, from /usr or from ~/Activities, "plain versions
>     vs. dotted versions" (sounds a bit amusing). All these tasks will be
>     handled within new packaging core

Wouldn't PackageKit be a perfect match for this?

> So, Zero Sugar will be useful already in two weeks e.g. it should be possible to attach
> Sugar:Platform:Factory repo from obs to have development sucrose on
> major rpm/deb distros (http://wiki.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets)
> or install sugarized GC (in form of application or activity) from native packages.

It's an amazing piece of work, Aleksey!!

Considering that you're tackling on the hardest problem in the Sugar
universe, I'm very impressed by the progress you've made in such a short
amount of time.