[Sugar-devel] Clocks on XOs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 6 12:10:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 08:22 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On 3 July 2010 16:52, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> > I checked: olpc-update-query only sets the clock if it's off by more
> > than 24hours, so it cannot serve as a replacement for ntpdate.
>
> What's the requirement for super-accurate clocks on the XO?

It doesn't have to be super-accurate, just good enough to show a clock
with a meaningful time.

Laptops with anti-theft enabled can get the time from the OATS server
when it's off by more than 24 hours. Unlocked laptops don't have a way
to synchronize the time at all.

All we need to fix it is a trivial shell script. Why not do it?

NOTE: whoever is interested in supporting configurations that take away
root access from users will probably want to remove this functionality
as well. Very sad :-(