[Sugar-devel] Patches to mail list, or patches to trac?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 5 08:47:25 EDT 2010

On 07/01/2010 08:32 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to ask the obvious question. Patches to mail list, or
> patches to trac?

About acceptance, the current process is in place until its wiki page is
changed:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Code_Review

Now, that process already mentioned reviews on mailing lists in some
cases and of course, doesn't forbid people from sending patches to the
ml for non-acceptance reviews.

> Patches to mail-list seem great for quick random 'easy' feedback from
> and for any one who cares to give it, and I really like seeing little
> code snippets go past. However it seems vital that with the current
> process we at least make a final closing stage (currently tickets in
> trac) where the hard final call can be made and the loop closed.

Yup, I guess this is the acceptance part of it which needs to be very
clear to submitters and thus should be agreed by all maintainers of
official modules.

> Personally I read mail in a bunch of different places/devices and
> there's no way I can currently (and sanely) keep track of all the
> list activity and know who suggested what, what was actually agreed,
> and what is still outstanding. I've had a few patches and reviews now
> from kind folk posting to the mail-list, but for me, I've ended up
> having to ask folks to create git clones so I can pull in patches in
> a maintainable work flow.
>
> I dread to think what it must be like trying to look after several
> large core modules!

Last we discussed this, I understood that the conclusion is that the
parties interested in a particular submission will keep pinging the
maintainer in public (irc, ml) until it gets reviewed.

I still think it would be much better to have a simpler queue such as
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/wiki/TomeuReviewQueue in which you know more
clearly what is awaiting review and exactly which patches they are
(well, when the submitter properly discards all patches and don't put
several patches in the same ticket), but it was contended that the
"bureaucracy" needed was too much  and discouraged contributions.

Regards,

Tomeu