[Sugar-devel] UI experiments: pop-up menus and hot corners

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jul 4 14:31:13 EDT 2010

Mikus, let's keep sugar-devel@ posted on Sugar UI threads. I know you're
not subscribed, but we shouldn't cut-off all the Sugar developers from
the discussion.

Besides, this thread became quite off-topic for devel at l.l.o and
fedora-olpc-list at .

> If the user needs to choose case-by-case whether to launch new or
> resume, if he wants to "resume" he can go to Journal (one click) and
> launch from there (second click) -- whereas if he wants to launch new he
> can go to Home, hover, and (one click) 'Start' in the existing palette.

In 0.88, users can do alt-click to get a new activity instance, which is
pretty fast, but somewhat hard to discover.

> For those users who consistently "resume" all the time, provide a
> setting within the control panel to override the directly_on_Home_icon
> first-click behavior (perform "launch new" vs. "show menu of resumes").
>  If "frame" behavior can be specified by user, so should "home" behavior.

I think we should resist the temptation to add too many configuration
knobs to the UI. We'd end up with a cluttered and unmaintainable control
panel like KDE 3 and Gnome 1.

Assuming that people resume the last activity more often than creating a
new one, click is probably the best default. So far, users seem to be ok
with it, though it took them some time to re-adapt on the 0.82 -> 0.84
transition.