[Sugar-devel] Q on tracker cleanup / triage

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Sat Jul 3 19:11:42 EDT 2010

Hi devs,

500+ unclosed bugs causes problems. I feel intimidated & overwhelmed by this
number. I also find it difficult to find material sift through bug reports,
to find areas where I can help (although, at the moment, I'm quite content
with sugar-love level problems). However, 500+ bugs isn't that accurate.
Some have been identified as upstream problems, but their resolution status
remains open.

I suggest that we make more use of the "wontfix" resolution status. In 5
minutes, I've found some likely candidates. "wontfix" comes with a high risk
of alienating people submitting bugs, but a polite note saying that it's
upstream or possibly something like  "Unfortunately, we have higher priority
areas to work on right now. However we would welcome a patch if you are
still wiling to work on this issue. It's great that you've taken the time to
submit the bug, and we have looked into resolving things for you."

Some candidates:

wontfix - upstream
 http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1307

wontfix - other priorities
 http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/288
 http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/292

duplicates
 http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/172
 http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/394

I think that resolving bugs, even if by using the wontfix tag will make
other areas easier.

Also, I don't know if I have the permission to change resolution status when
something hasn't been touched for 12+ months. If I were to change status on
likely candidates, would this anger the other developers?

Tim