[Sugar-devel] Clocks on XOs

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jul 3 14:42:48 EDT 2010

>>  On top of that, ntpd doesn't get along with power saving mode.

> I haven't noticed anything odd. Either it's been fixed in the meantime or it
> was only subtle misbehaviour. Do you have a ticket number or link to a
> description of the problem that has been experienced before?

Are you running XO-1s with power saving enabled?  Last I knew that didn't
work and recent OSes ship with it pre-configured to off.

With power saving disabled, ntpd works as expected.

"doesn't get along" may be too strong.  The symptoms were that the clock
drifted wildly.  I'll dig out some data if it matters, but that was with the
old kernel from Fedora 9, when power saving worked.

I don't have a ticket number.

Linux seems to break things when somebody cleans up something in this area.
I think there has been more work in this area recently, but it may not be
that recent.  I'm procrastinating until power saving works again.

Clocks are hard.  Clocks on XOs are doubly hard because you don't have
anyplace to stand when the CPU and its clocks are powered down.