[Sugar-devel] Question about slider key codes

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jul 2 01:48:35 EDT 2010

G'day,

That's a good question, I confirm your observations, and I agree that it
will be something between the keyboard and the kernel if you want fn to
work.

I've tested just now, with os205 on XO-1.5.

The slider keys individually provide Pygame key events for key down and
key up.

Pressing slider key 1 and 4 at the same time results in four events; two
for each key.  This is expected.

Pressing any combination of a slider key and the immediately adjacent
slider key generates only two events for one key.  This is odd.

There is an area between key 1 and key 2 where you can press down with
normal force and no events are generated.

Also, pressing fn with any slider key gives no event at all.  For
Pygame.

Also, in text console, running "showkey" shows events for slider keys,
but no events for fn key.  Slider key events stop if fn is pressed.

So I guess that it isn't possible to capture events in the way Walter
suggested.

This is also verified using "test /keyboard" at the ok prompt.  fn works
fine, but repeated presses on the slider at various points shows the
isolation behaviour; you can't press two at once easily.  If you press
very hard, you can get two at once.

Placing an XO-1 C2 on scales, it takes 75g of downward pressure to
activate single slider keys, and 850g to 1.3kg of downward pressure to
activate two slider keys at once.  This is an adult smallest finger.

I don't think pressing two keys with one finger is practical.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/