[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] [Patch] Sugar Smolt Control Panel Integration

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Thu Jul 1 15:10:18 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Sebastian Dziallas's message of Thu Jul 01 16:11:21 +0000 2010:

> > - Why do you recommend to delete the profile (including UUID) after
> >  submission? Isn't one of the purposes of smolt support to be able
> >  to help individual users with hardware trouble (which would require
> >  knowing the UUID of the user)?
> It's not the we actually *recommend* to the user to delete the profile
> afterwards.
Hmm, that's at least the way I interpreted the text, so there's a good
chance others will as well:

> "You can submit and then delete your profile by pressing the buttons below. ")

This sounds like submitting AND then deleting is the usual course of
action. We might instead want to actively discourage people from deleting
the profile, or maybe even completely remove the option. I don't know
smolt, but I doubt the profile takes up a significant amount of disk
space. If it does take up a lot of space we should remove the profile
automatically and keep the UUID file.
I can't come up with a privacy concern over retaining the UUID.

> Uh, I looked at how the GPL was read in the about-my-computer screen
> and that's how they did it there.
So that's where the mention of the GPL came from. ;)

> I put that in the __init__.py file: the control panel section only
> shows up when the smolt file executing the submission is present.
Ah, yes. I might have overlooked it because the indentation is only two
spaces instead of four (and all other lines are uninteresting technicalities).

Sascha