[Sugar-devel] Patches to mail list, or patches to trac?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 1 14:32:42 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

Just wanted to ask the obvious question. Patches to mail list, or patches to trac?

Patches to mail-list seem great for quick random 'easy' feedback from and for any one who cares to give it, and I really like seeing little code snippets go past. However it seems vital that with the current process we at least make a final closing stage (currently tickets in trac) where the hard final call can be made and the loop closed.

Personally I read mail in a bunch of different places/devices and there's no way I can currently (and sanely) keep track of all the list activity and know who suggested what, what was actually agreed, and what is still outstanding. I've had a few patches and reviews now from kind folk posting to the mail-list, but for me, I've ended up having to ask folks to create git clones so I can pull in patches in a maintainable work flow.

I dread to think what it must be like trying to look after several large core modules!

Regards,
--Gary