[Sugar-devel] F11-0.88 unmerged patches summary

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 1 09:02:11 EDT 2010

No, as per http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Code_Review#Discussion
.

>  sugar-toolkit/sl1842-notify-red-alert.patch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both Gary and James agreed?

I wonder about performance, as fills on the XO-1 are very slow and if
the fading was very smooth it could have a negative impact on the UX.

>  sugar/sl1842-journal-error-messates.patch
>
> The review has been swamped by a design discussion. It's not clear what Anish
> should do to pass review.

Do you have a link to the controversy?

>  sugar-toolkit/sl1948-Race-condition-with-name-widget-in-the-activ.patch
>
> This patch has a corner case in which it fails to update the activity
> name, but I think it's still a little better than the current behavior.
> See ticket for details.

I guess you and Simon need to agree on which bad is better.

>  sugar/add-font-dpi-schema.patch
>
> This is a companion patch of a fix sugar-settings-manager which has
> already landed in git. It's needed by xulrunner (Browse).

Would be good if the commit message said why is that needed, or at
least have a link to the ticket.

>  sugar/avoid-popping-an-empty-list-in-the-software-updater.patch
>
> Works, but James Cameron's posted a better counter-patch. Merge that one.
>

>  sugar/click-on-journal-icons-with-a-exclusive-time-frame.patch
>
> Requested by the Waveplace folks. Please merge.

What happened to the check for activity_id? We have it in other places
in the UI with the similar issue.

>  sugar/dynamically-set-number-of-control-panel-columns.patch
>
> The approach to comoute the column width is wrong, but it produces better
> results than the current fixed number of columns. So, for now, I'm keeping it
> around.

Anish has a better one already.

>  sugar/fix-duplication-of-OLPC-mesh-icons.patch
>  sugar/fix-for-file-list-sorting-for-FAT32-formatted-flash-drives-in-journal.patch
>
> All the above have no issues to my knowledge and should be merged.
>

>  sugar/use-the-spanish-verb-quitar-for-unmounting-devices.patch
>
> Better-than-nothing patch, but the real fix would require a gettext
> kludge in the code (see http://bugs.python.org/issue2504 )

Shouldn't we make the change in Pootle? Or it will be synced automatically?

Or maybe we should go with the kludge as the real fix is most likely
to not land in 2.x.

> == Minor bugfixes ==
>
>  sugar-toolkit/fix-two-trivial-shell-log-warnings.patch
>
> Reviewed on sugar-devel, should be merged.
>

>  sugar-toolkit/sl1876.patch
>
> Patch is in comment 2 of the ticket. It has been overlooked becuase
> the ticket had also an attachment.
>
>  sugar/fix-name-clash-set_state.patch
>
> Should be merged.
>

> == New Features ==
>
>  sugar/backup-0001-Volumes-Backup-and-Restore.patch
>  sugar/backup-0002-Journal-XS-backup-and-restore.patch
>
> There are concerns about restore deleting new entries since the
> last backup. I agree, but since nobody seems to have the time to
> implement and test a more sophisticated procedure, at this time
> this is the best restore feature we have for Sugar.

Do we know any other deployment willing to deploy this?

If we decide to merge it, I think it should be disabled by default and
have a gconf setting, because knowingly shipping a feature that causes
data loss may not be a good idea.

> == Cleanups ==
>
>  sugar/simplify-the-definition-of-UpdateModel._bundles_to_check..patch
>
> Merge.
>
>  sugar-toolkit/remove-incomplete-MANIFEST-support.patch
>
> The incomplete design and implementation of MANIFEST files has been laying
> around for 3 years. We can choose to clean it up now, or let it bitrot for
> another 3 years.
>

> == Experimental patches ==
>
>  sugar/set-default-scaling-to-100.patch
>
> This is only required on the XO. We should really autodetect this.
>

>  sugar/cpu-and-memory-resource-indicator.patch
>
> Not yet reviewed on sugar-devel at . Not even tested by us yet.
>

>  sugar-artwork/sl2006-icons-for-touchpad-panel.patch
>  sugar/sl2006-touchpad-section-for-control-panel.patch
>  sugar/sl2006-file-exists-check.patch
>
> Walter's XO-1 touchpad control panel. For me, it could already go in, but it
> would be nice to add a global shortcut such as alt-shift-t, and maybe move the
> functionality to a frame icon, for fast switching.
>

>  sugar-toolkit/change-keep-string-to-keep-a-copy.patch
>
> Several alternatives have been suggested on the list, but nobody implemented
> them, so this one still stands.
>

>  sugar-toolkit/kill-the-delayed-menus-for-good.patch
>
> This change has been at the center of a huge design / UX / testing flame war a
> while ago. I've merged it to observe user reactions, so
> hopefully we can have a polite discussion based on some real data.

I would go with whatever deployers decide.

>  sugar/backup-0003-Journal-documents-volume-button.patch
>
> We no longer need this feature since we decided to disable Gnome, but other
> deployments may find it useful. (but journal crashes when you drop files on
> the icon)
>

> == Patches with outstanding issues ==
>
>  sugar-datastore/0001-Add-ctime-and-timestamp-properties-to-the-index.patch
>  sugar-datastore/0002-Add-migration-from-DS-v0-code-for-the-new-properties.patch
>  sugar-datastore/0003-increment-CURRENT_LAYOUT_VERSION-to-trigger-an-index-rebuild.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0000-cover-letter.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0001-Journal-Retrieve-filesize-from-the-datastore.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0002-Add-a-filesize-column-to-the-journal-list-model.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0003-Journaltoolbox-Add-add_separator-method-for-convenie.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0004-Add-a-ListViewButton-to-the-journal-search-toolbar.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0005-Rename-the-date-column-to-sort_column.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0006-Display-the-sorting-property-in-the-last-column.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0007-Expandedentry-Try-to-use-the-filesize-property.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0008-Implement-sorting-for-removable-devices.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0009-Add-sort-by-creation-time-option-to-the-ListViewButt.patch
>  sugar/sizelist-0010-Add-ctime-property-to-the-journal-model.patch
>
> Andres' series for sorting the journal by size. There's an outstanding
> problem with ctime being an integer rather than a string, as expected
> by Etoys. Andres is working on a fix.

Is Aleksey ok with merging this?

Regards,

Tomeu