[Sugar-devel] sugar-settings-manager

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:30:43 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:58, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just pushed the initial codeset for sugar-settings-manager, the
>> settings manager daemon which is a part of
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Font_configuration
>> It only handles font configuration information at the moment, but a
>> number of other settings can be controlled in the future
>> (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XSettingsRegistry)
>> Please test it out (the relevant patch for sugar-jhbuild is at
>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1692)
>
> Hi, would like to know if running the settings manager inside the
> shell process has been considered. This could reduce some memory usage
> and packaging effort. We are already doing this with the session
> manager.

It is possible (with some hacks, such as re-wrapping
gdk_window_add_filter to allow for passing NULL instead of a
GdkWindow). However, at some point, I think we would be moving in a
direction similar to GNOME, and using the settings daemon for
supporting things like pointer acceleration, mouse keys flipping,
sticky keys support, etc, all of which would need to be wrapped inside
sugar-toolkit. In such a scenario, IMHO, it makes sense to have a
separate, purely C based daemon (in its current form, it takes up
around 600k of memory).

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--