[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] New color selector

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sun Jan 31 09:54:14 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:07:05AM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
> I prefer the first one myself, since I think it makes it quite clear
> how to affect just the stroke or just the fill. The quick feedback you
> get as you run through the spectrum is nice, and kind of fun.
> (disco-XO!)
>
> The second one could also work, but I think it's would be far better
> to visualize more (all!) of the possible choices without the need to
> scroll through the list. I've attached a couple of mockups to
> demonstrate this. The first has static swatches, which don't change at
> all. The second has dynamic swatches which take on the chosen
> stroke/fill colors for the fill/stroke swatches respectively, as your
> current mockup does.
>
> In all cases, I'd recommend shortening the labels now to just "Stroke
> color" and "Fill color", since the interaction is obvious. (This
> would, by the way, let your sliders in the first mockup be twice as
> long, which would make it easier for kids to use to select their
> chosen color.) I also still find it visually much nicer when the only
> XO represented here is you.
>
> My 2¢,
> Eben

(I've arranged all mockups on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Enhanced_Color_Selector)

I prefer
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#static_rows_with_separated_fill.2Fstroke

* I see all possible colors at once(but we need to add optional
  scrolling for not so wide screens)
* can change color parts separately
* to make random choice, I can just click on XO like in old scheme

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've uploaded new mockups as a result of last design meeting
> >> (hope I understood designers well:) to
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/0.88_Meeting#Enhanced_Color_Selector
> >>
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Color-selector-4.png
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/4/43/Color-selector-4.ogv
> >>
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Color-selector-5.png
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/5/54/Color-selector-5.ogv
> >
> > Nice.
> >
> > I much prefer the second one (the one with the rows of XOs). To me, it
> > is much more obvious what is going on and more fun too.
> >
> > The general problem people encounter is the interaction between the
> > two changes: fill visually impacts stroke and vice versa. I think this
> > a good compromise solution.
> >
> > -walter
> >

> >> --
> >> Aleksey