[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Collaboration woes

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:45:26 EST 2010

Sascha,

I tried a few things on F11 this morning, none of which worked:

I tried building sugar-jhbuild on a second Linux user id, and after
that running sugar-jhbuild run on two different Linux user ids at the
same time with the Jabber server in each set to an empty string.  They
could not see each other.  At some point in that test I started F11's
sugar-emulator, which may account for the database error.  The
sugar-jhbuilds weren't seeing each other before I did that though.

The avahi demon looks like it was running.

I'll try clearing out the .sugar/default/logs directory and running a
test with just sugar-emulators running.

F10 still works with no jabber server if both instances run under
separate accounts.  I'm going to try SUGAR_PROFILE again on F10
tonight to see if that works with two profiles running on the same
Linux id.

Your suggestion that F10 does not support jabber.sugarlabs.org seems
right on the money.  The wiki page says that jabber.sugarlabs.org is
for those running the very latest Sugar.  The idea that
jabber.sugarlabs.org only shows 20 users no matter how many are
connected also seems to be right, because when I use that server on
F11 I see 20 others besides myself on each instance of sugar-emulator
I run.  The thing is, its always the same 20 users.  I guess they
never turn their computers off, ever.

I'd be a little concerned if a Jabber server could only support 20
concurrent users.  When I was a kid class size of 30 kids was not
unusual, and our school district was well off.  You'd need one Jabber
server for each classroom and it wouldn't be enough.

I don't think I'll be able to diagnose this with you over IRC, though
I wish I could.  Between work and my other responsibilities I have
very little time to work on Sugar and getting the two of us on the
same schedule seems unlikely.  I do have something working for now,
and I'll document everything I've learned in the book.

Thanks,

James Simmons