[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Deleting an entry in the Journal while the activity is running

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Mon Jan 25 08:56:51 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:08:47AM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:

> But following up on Sascha's suggestion, if we need to (1) notify the
> activity to do a save when the delete occurs and don't save except on
> changes, then any subsequent changes would presumably be an
> intentional override by the user. (2) Catching the time stamp would be
> the only other point of intervention.
Just to make it clear: There's no need to notify the activity to make it
save prior to deletion: It already saved on switching from the activity
to the Journal.

> Question: is this still a problem in the world of real versioning?
The current model (*) is to delete single versions (and cope with
"holes" in the history), not the entire entry (i.e. all versions of it).
The effect of deleting a version is to make it disappear from history,
showing the parent instead in the Journal if it was the most recent one.
Saving a more recent version on activity close after deletion would fit
into that model, but IMO still be unexpected (as it contains the changes
you just deleted).
That being said, the current implementation would break (while closing
the activity) if you delete the current version while the activity is
still running as it requires the parent version (which has just been
deleted) to exist.

(*) As evolved from design discussions; I'm still not sure it is the
right thing to do.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/