[Sugar-devel] Replacing Xephyr with VNC

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Mon Jan 18 12:44:24 EST 2010

Hi!

As many of you are probably aware we're having considerable trouble
[1,2] with Xephyr, the X server currently used in sugar-emulator.
I've finally managed to get VNC working for sugar-emulator on all of the
distros supported by sugar-jhbuild and would like these changes to be
merged in mainline. [3]

Dependencies added:
* Debian/Ubuntu: vnc4server, xvnc4viewer
* Fedora: tigervnc, tigervnc-server
* Ubuntu: lsb_release (for triggering a Ubuntu-specific workaround)

Dependencies removed:
* Xephyr

User experience changes:
+ non-US keyboards are working properly
* F8 is mapped to VNC menu (can send plain F8, but not <modifier>+F8)
* VNC grabs the keyboard in full screen mode
    + no window manager interference
    - no way to switch away from VNC (other switching to window mode
using F8 menu)

Other changes:
+ SL#17 [4] fixed

Tested on: