[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jan 17 19:34:29 EST 2010

Hi Wade,

On 17 Jan 2010, at 21:40, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> Hey Gary,
>
> Did you guys explicitly decide that the Journal should be *in* the ring?

Yes, I think that would be a fair observation. We did have a small tangent considering a Journal button in the home toolbar, but that was for other reasons (related using it as a possible place for a toggle 'resume vs new' home behaviour).

> I had been thinking it would appear between the ring and the XO, like
> the current activity is now but on the top side.  That would make it
> look less like a regular activity.

FWIW the Journal for me has never seemed like it should be presented as an activity, it is a core part of the Sugar shell, a meta zoom level above all others, perhaps the most significant shell view of all. I think one of the first mockups I ever made relating to an early version of Sugar suggested putting the Journal icon as the left most item in the top frame (using the spy glass icon as per the XO keyboard), though I'm not suggesting that solves any of our current reported issues (the frame has not been an explicitly discoverable enough design and is kind of what we keep trying to work around).

/me ducks and runs of cover

> (Actually I never click that "current activity" icon;

Me neither. It's now leftover detritus from an old design. It made very obvious sense for the old home view, where instantiated activities were shown in the ring and launching new activities was done via the lower frame, but that metaphor is long gone.

> I could envision
> leaving the Journal icon there all the time, instead of tracking the
> current activity)

Yes, I think that may be a good call; better than having it as the first item in the ring (or whatever layout is enabled) given its special case status. Perhaps something we can raise in the next design meeting?

Regards,
--Gary