[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Mockups of Home view showing "Start new" ring and separate row of icons for resume

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sat Jan 16 10:26:04 EST 2010

On 01/16/2010 04:14 PM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Some quick mockups of a Home view idea mentioned in previous discussions. Just intended as extra material for todays irc design meeting.
>
> 1) Ring of activity icons reverts to the "Start new" behaviour; Journal icon is always shown for easier access, with recent activities shown below for quick resuming. Journal icon and recent activities are shown horizontally for better screen balance (at cost of not matching the real Journal list display orientation).
>
> 	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Home_mockup_with_horizontal_journal_and_start_new_defaults.png
>
> 2) Same as above except that the Journal icon is top left and a top to bottom resume icon order is used so that recent activities are shown in the same order and direction as is experienced in the Journal list view:
>
> 	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Home_mockup_with_journal_and_start_new_defaults.png
>
> Regards,
> --Gary

Hi Gary,

thanks, I think that helps to better visualize this proposal.

The problem I see with this design is, that the title of the activities
does lack. I guess you would see it in a palette when hovering over it.
But that would be as quick as going to the Journal directly. One could
imagine displaying the title in the vertical layout, but that would make
the home view crowded.

Just a few thoughts, so I do not forget my first impressions ;p

Thanks,
    Simon