[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Carlo Falciola cfalciola at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 13 13:27:00 EST 2010

>On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at >garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2010, at 20:44, Walter Bender wrote:

>>> My findings are as well that the Journal is the natural place to resume
>>> an activity. The home view is the natural way to create a new activity,
>>> since it contains a graphical representation with the available activities.
>>>
>>> I think resuming is a secondary option we can provide, but should not be
>>> the default option when you click on the icon. To overcome the issue of
>>> constantly creating new activities I liked the 'open the full palette on
>>> left click' option. The learner is then provided with options to choose
>>> from.
>>
>> I like this too. It is worth mentioning that on non-OLPC-XO hardware,
>> there is no easily discovered (or typed) dedicated key or mouse
>> movement to get you to the Journal--one of the reasons we have also
>> discussed having the Journal icon always available in the Home View (I
>> am in favor of always at the bottom of the circle). All of these
>> changes collectively may help.
>
> I've been trying to stay out of this discussion so far, watching for what might stick. So summing up so far:
>
> - Always show Journal in the home ring, though I'd favour having it as the first item, so that would make it always at the top of the circle ;-)
>
> - Home view reverted back to the 'start new' activity focus, all icons >are un-coloured.
>
> - Single left click always reveals the palette with the 'start new' >item at the top and 'resume' items below. Some minus design points here >as 'start new' and 'resume' will both become 2 clicks away, and take >extra palette cursoring dexterity to reach. You could argue both 'start >new' and 'resume' will drop to second level features with 'activity >palette information' becoming the top level home feature. Being able to >read (some of) this palette text would also now be required, so our >'low floor' just got a little higher :-( I do agree though that this >provides a compromise between reducing Journal spam and preventing the >unintentional overwrite of existing Journal work by making the choice >explicit.
>

>I am with you until here. I think we need to be very careful with the
>introduction of such additional complexity in the UI. Even for older
>kids, those using the OLPC-XO-1 laptops that have the old jumpy
>touchpad will have a hard time with this.
>
>I would urge the design team to explore a few more ways to solve this
>problem spatially rather than temporally.
I think the two use cases (Resume vs Start a new) are either valuable for the home view thats supposed to be the main "workplace" of sugar interactions, so I suggest to try hard to design an option to have the two use cases directly graphically available on the screen real estate, one point could be that on average not so many different activity could be displayed in the favorites circle, allowing few options to show them in a "StartNew" or "Resume" graphic option:
Uncolored icons outside circle, the "resuming" colored icons inside in an incomplete circle, and Journal icon in centre (down to XO) as to represent even better the idea of reflection and research.
note: the inner circle "resuming "icons should be reasonably smaller that the outer ones becouse they do not need   support the usecase to be easily identifiable.

ciao carlo