[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jan 11 15:32:57 EST 2010

On 01/11/2010 06:12 PM, Wade Brainerd wrote:
> My feeling regarding all this is that the problem is deeper than
> finding a way to Resume Latest or Start New from the home screen.
>
> IMO, the whole idea of Resume Latest is broken and needs to be
> ditched.  The Journal is the place to resume activities.  We need to
> make the Journal more discoverable and usable instead of trying to
> mash its features into the home screen.

My findings are as well that the Journal is the natural place to resume
an activity. The home view is the natural way to create a new activity,
since it contains a graphical representation with the available activities.

I think resuming is a secondary option we can provide, but should not be
the default option when you click on the icon. To overcome the issue of
constantly creating new activities I liked the 'open the full palette on
left click' option. The learner is then provided with options to choose
from.

> But, I don't think there is any way to achieve consensus on this
> issue.  In fact, the need for consensus feels like a constant problem
> in the advancement of the Sugar shell.  I eagerly await someone in
> charge making a good decision. :)

Out of this discussion there will be a conclusion, be sure. Having users
is a duty and a privilege at the same time. And we are about to get the
number one work flow right at the moment. That is not an easy task :)

Regards,
    Simon