[Sugar-devel] Feature cleanup meeting: 11.01.10 --- Summary

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jan 11 12:44:36 EST 2010

Hi,

today we went through the list of Features proposed for the 0.88 release
and pending Feature requests. I will summarize here the outcome:

*** Accepted:

Enhanced Color Selector:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Enhanced_color_selector
---> in review process, first patch has been reviewed already

TableView: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/TableView_Widget
The current use of the gtk.treeview is quite hacky. The new widget will
improve maintenance and will support multiple selections.
---> in review process http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1586
---> adds new API, if not ready before the Freeze will be added internal
to the shell only for now

3G-Support: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/3G_Support
---> requested from the field, implemented from local developers, not
too invasive
---> in review process already
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/230
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1586

Enhanced-Gettext: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Enhanced_Gettext
---> has been requested from the field several times (e.g. Sri Lanka)
---> adds new API

Font configuration: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Font_configuration
---> first part, the GConf option, has been landed
---> Sayamindu is working on a daemon thet monitors gconf and X about it
as soon as something changes. The advantage of using X is that it is
cross-desktop and works for all X apps (e.g. GTK, QT). In terms of
performance reason the daemon could only run when resources are
available and otherwise a restart would be needed for changes to take
affect.
---> API changes
---> we are looking for a developer that would code a simple Control
Panel interface to increase/decrease the font size

Write to Journal anytime:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Write_to_journal_anytime
---> the outstanding issue is a design one, we need to find consensus
about the design

Thumbs View in Journal:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Thumbs_View_in_Journal
---> it already had been accepted for 0.86 but got delayed, the code is
basically done only needs to be adopted to the new TableView widget

*** Pending
Dotted activity Versions:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Dotted_Activity_Versions
---> needs an owner
---> final poll to take a decision which scheme to use

Sugar Bundles: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Sugar_Bundles
---> Original request cam up to simplify the ASLO updater
(infrastructure request)
---> we agreed in the goal itself, we would like to know how important
it is for a deployment to know if we better do it now or later
---> request feedback from deployers on the ml

Tags in Journal: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Tags_in_Journal
---> design feedback needed, there are mockups already, a first attempt
to get this in would be great

Regards,
    Simon