[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sun Jan 10 18:37:35 EST 2010

Simon wrote:

> You said that your patch would solve it, can you elaborate how you would do
> that?

I haven't written the patch yet; I was merely inquiring whether you'd like me
to or whether it would be a waste of time.

However, presuming further on your interest: the approach that I would probably
take if I were to write the patch would be to modify

   FavoritesView._add_activity()

to add pairs of icons to the FavoritesLayout. Then I would modify RingLayout to
draw two concentric rings of icons with the colored "resume" icons in the inner
ring.

Then I'd see what I thought of the result and, if I liked it, I'd think about
what to do with the rest of the layouts, the list view, and the journal.

> How the UI for the user would change?

The UI change would vary depending on what home view layout was selected.

As a straw-man, the ring view would now display two concentric circles of
icons. The inner ring would have consist of colored "resumable" activities and
would have occasional holes when no resumable instance was available. The outer
ring would consist of uncolored "start new" icons.

Michael