[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jan 8 10:02:55 EST 2010

On 08.01.2010, at 15:41, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 05:39, Gerald Ardito <gmanb5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am interested in this discussion.
>> I am managing a deployment of 140 XOs/SOAS (mostly XOs) and this issue comes
>> up a lot with the students. A couple of classrooms are just finishing a
>> project with EToys and Resume was a big problem for us.
>> In EToys, you seem to have to rename the project in the Journal. So, every
>> Journal entry says, by default, "EToys Project." So, time is lost trying to
>> find the right one (until the students get the naming thing).
>
> In my draft guide to Discovery, I am suggesting that teachers
> explicitly tell students how to name sessions for the first few days,
> with decreasing guidance as students get the idea.
>
> "We are going to save our work now. Click the stop sign, everybody. Do
> you see that the name "Etoys Project" is highlighted? That means you
> can just start typing your own name for your session. Type the name
> [name] in place of "EToys Project". Now click OK.
>
> "Save your work, everyone. Does anybody remember how?" "Click the Stop
> icon and give the session a name?", some student asks. "Right."
>
> "Now save your session. What should we call it?" Accept a suggestion
> and write it on the board.
>
> "Now save your session, and remember--" "To name it!!" they all shout.

This works fine for other activities. For Etoys, we never got around to implement the prompt-for-title-on-stopping-an-unnamed-instance-dialog. And more recent discussion suggested that dialog is too annoying anyway. It may get removed in a future Sugar version. So currently that ticket has a rather low priority - feel free to comment:

	http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-198

In Etoys, to name a project you just change its title in the toolbar, at any time.

- Bert -