[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Mockup for collab.sugarlabs.org

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jan 8 06:59:40 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 05:28, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> All mentioned above could be(already) done in existed env. But the major
>> idea of collab.sl.o proposal is bringing life to existed scheme by
>> stimulating users to share their needs(due to having convenient
>> "ASLO for needs" site).
>
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> We definitely need to improve our lines of communication with users
> (deployments, teachers, students and casual).  As a programmer I
> appreciate a good technical solution to this problem.
>
> I think it's more a personal problem than a tech problem though.  E.g.
> we need better relationships between developers and users, more than
> we need a better form to fill in.

This is certainly my opinion as well. The language problem is there,
but though I'm a native spanish speaker I rarely get a reply when
contacting someone from a deployment. Though if most people at SLs
spoke spanish, then we could work stronger in this area.

Any infrastructure we set up for feedback needs to take into account
that most of our users are not comfortable using english, and that's a
bit hard of a problem.

Regards,

Tomeu

> And that's really a job for the
> project leadership, mostly by introducing people and encouraging them
> to follow up.  Tomeu's recent visit to Laboratorio Tecnológico del
> Uruguay is a great example; if only we could put every Sugar developer
> at a deployment for a week.  I joined the sur list and use Google
> Translate to feel at least a little bit plugged in :)   Still, I
> occasionally send emails to deployments asking things like "Are you
> guys using Typing Turtle?" and "What kinds of activities could you
> use?" but rarely hear back.  I guess it's a problem when most of the
> developers speak one language, and most of the users speak one of many
> others.
>
>> I'm personally for lightweight collab.sl.o(to meet only mentioned above
>> issues) and reusing existed development related resources like
>> wiki/launchpad/mls for development process.
>
> What do you think about making this idea into an activity, instead of
> a website?  We could take my "Report a Problem" control panel and turn
> it into a "Feedback" activity.  I already have the "log collector"
> server set up on SL infrastructure - we could turn the feedback into a
> RSS feed for developers who could detect trends.  I'm not sure about
> the voting stuff - we hardly get any reviews on ASLO as it is, my
> Typing Turtle score is down to 3 stars because of one middle school
> kid :)
>
> (BTW, there seems to not be much user representation in the discussion
> about 0.88 features, which may provide some motivation for this topic)
>
> -Wade

Farning