[Sugar-devel] Mockup for collab.sugarlabs.org

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Jan 7 07:20:30 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:22:55PM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Collab_mockup
>
> I see that you are pointing to Ubuntu's "brainstorm", which has a huge
> overlap with the wiki-ish "blueprints" and tasks/bugs as tracked in
> launchpad/malone.

it was just a possible way to go

> Comparing Ubuntu's brainstorm with their own use of
> blueprints+bugtracker, the blueprints+bugtracker win big time.
> Brainstorm takes a lot of page / screen real state for very few
> "tasks", and the quality of discussion/interaction isn't very high.
>
> Maybe a better "path" for users to get into the wikipages that Walter
> mentioned (Feature Request, etc) would work?

well, as was mentioned in this thread, collab.sl.o is not intended to do
something unique(but maybe unique view), everything could be done reusing
existed infrastructure.

The problem with existed methods could be costs of supporting, keeping in
mind casual and decentralized sugar nature. Well other FOSS projects
have these issues as well but do we have many community coordinators who
will, on regular bases, track various sources like dozen of wiki pages
(on several servers), dozen emails(on several servers) to coordinate all
these efforts. Also collab.sl.o is not intended to be organisation
driven portal but community driven. For example OLPC could have more
effective ways to treat all these issues due to having administrative
resources, collab.sl.o could give community replacement of OLPC's
administrative resource.

Another possible issue is not friendly to non-tech and casual sugar
users, with collab.sl.o's requester mode, it could be more useful for
people who lacks of some feature and wants to: expose this, track
progress of implementation w/o UI which encumbered with many development
related components. Possible analogy is wiki.laptop.org vs. ASLO.

--
Aleksey